The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) equity market closed 2020 on a record high gain, making the year the best performing since 2010, despite a global pandemic and the economic downtown that followed.
The NSE All-Share Index (ASI) advanced by 50.03%, although the performance is skewed because of the weight of the 4 most capitalized stocks on the Index.
These four heavyweights DANGCEM (N4.17 trillion), MTNN (N3.46 trillion), AIRTELAFRI (N3.20 trillion), and BUACEMENT (N2.62 trillion) accounted for 63.86% of the entire market capitalization. A shift in any of these stocks, could on its own shift the direction of the NSE ASI.
Have you read?
Indeed, these stocks had moved significantly in the year; AIRTELAFRI by 184.90%, BUACEMENT by 101.17%, DANGCEM by 72.46% and MTNN by 61.81%, however not all made the top ten best-performing stocks on the Exchange.
Here are NSE top ten (10) best performing stocks in 2020
- Vitafoam Nig Plc. (ticker: VITAFAOM)
- FCMB Group Plc (ticker: FCMB)
- May & Baker Nigeria Plc (ticker: MAYBAKER)
- United Capital Plc (ticker: UCAP)
- BUA Cement Company Plc (ticker: BUACEMENT)
- Law Union and Rock Ins. Plc (ticker: LAWUNION)
Performance: +120.00% – delisted from the exchange
- Livestock Feeds Plc (ticker: LIVESTOCK)
- Airtel Africa Plc (ticker: AIRTELAFRI)
2. FTN Cocoa Processors Plc (ticker: FTNCOCOA)
- NEIMETH International Pharmaceuticals Plc (ticker: NEIMETH)
Worst Performers in 2020
- Chams Plc (ticker: CHAMS)
- Guinness Nig. Plc (ticker: GUINNESS)
- Unilever Nigeria Plc (ticker: UNILEVER)
- International Breweries Plc (ticker: INTBREW)
- Deap Capital Management & Trust Plc (ticker: DEAPCAP)
- Seplat Petroleum Development Company Ltd (ticker: SEPLAT)
- Afromedia Plc (ticker: AFROMEDIA)
- NCR Nigeria Plc (ticker: NCR)
- OMATEX Ventures Plc (ticker: OMATEX)
- ARBICO Plc (ticker: ARBICO)
All graph source: Mytradebook
By: Ifunanya Ikueze