With the 2023 presidential election just few days away, knowing your correct polling unit will make voting on election day a bit easier.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has stated that you can only vote in the polling unit where your name is enlisted in the Register of Voters. Hence, ensure that you go to the right polling unit.
Consequently, INEC has called on all eligible voters to check and know their polling units before the February 25th presidential election.
You can check your polling unit in two ways – either via a text message to INEC designated numbers or via INEC’s website.
Using Text Message
Text State, last name & last 6 digits of your VIN to 09062830860 or 09062830861 for your Polling Unit name.
Using INEC Website
1. Visit https://cvr.inecnigeria.org
2. Fill out the marked boxes starting with your state of registration, last name, first name, and date of birth (day, month and year) – see pictures attached below.
- Read also: ELECTION: How to cast a valid vote
3. Click on ‘I’m not a robot’ this might check the box immediately or prompt a page where you will be required to select some items on the pictures below. Select the required item and click ‘verify.’
4. Once the box is ticked green – click on ‘check status’.
Be sure to fill out the exact details you registered with INEC as any difference in name or date of birth will result in your name not found on register.
If all the information are correct, the next page will display your details including the LGA, polling unit and polling unit code.
Polling Unit Code is written in this format: 39-14-08-041.
The last part of the code in the example – 41 is the polling unit code.
Alternatively, you can use your Voter Identification Number (VIN) to check your polling unit and polling unit code. Only the last 5 digits of your VIN will be required.
If you wish to use VIN, visit https://cvr.inecnigeria.org and scroll down, then click on ‘check status using VIN’ and fill out the boxes.
Ifunanya Ikueze is an Engineer, Safety Professional, Writer, Investor, Entrepreneur and Educator.