The straight gains recorded in the last three trading sessions on the Nigerian Stock Exchange was halted on Tuesday, as the All-Share Index slightly dipped by 0.03% to close at 25,597.96, due to losses in SEPLAT (-1.28%), OANDO (-5.46%), FBNH (-1.96%) and ZENITH (-0.29%) among others despite gains recorded by WAPCO (+3.45%), GUARANTY (0.20%).
Investors’ wealth declined by N3.978 billion with the market capitalization settling at N13.354 trillion. YTD return settled at -4.63%.
Have you read?
- Inflation rate hits 13.22%, highest in almost two and half years
- CBN introduces low-interest Solar Connection Intervention Facility
- Nigeria produced 1.36 mb/d of Crude Oil in August – OPEC.
The activity level waned as both the volume and value of traded shares declined by 4.63% and 9.25% to 245.139 million units and N3.013 billion respectively.
The top five most traded equities on Tuesday were banking stocks. FBNH led with 51.44 million units worth N257.447 billion exchanged in 186 deals.
It is followed by GUARANTY (46.291mn units), ZENITHBANK (18.778mn units), STANBIC (15.949mn units), and ACCESS (14.223mn units).
In terms of value, GUARANTY took the lead with 46.291mn units valued at N1.16 billion traded in 270 deals. It is followed by STANBIC, ZENITHBANK, FBNH, and ACCESS.
Performance of Indices
Two out of the five indices under our watch closed in green, below are the performances of the five indices;
The Insurance Index rose by 0.35% largely due to 6.45% gain in CORNERST.
The Industrial Goods Index gained 0.21% due to the rise in WAPCO
The Oil and Gas Index dropped for the fifth consecutive trading session. The index declined by 1.16% due to loses OANDO (-5.46%) and SEPLAT (-1.28%).
The Banking Index was down by 0.18% after three consecutive rises dragged by losses in FBNH (-1.96%), UBA (-0.81%), ZENITHBANK (-0.29%) among others.
Consumer Goods index dropped for the third time in a row. The index declined by 0.10% due to the 1.96% loss in DANGSUGAR.
Investor sentiment as measured by market breadth (gain/loss ratio) was weak at 0.87x as 13 stocks gained while 15 declined.
The top five gainers by percentage and closing prices are;
- IKEJAHOTEL rose by 9.52% to close at N0.92
- UAC-PROP rose by 9.20% to close at N0.95
- CORNERST rose by 6.45% to close at N0.66
- JAPAULOIL rose by 5.00% to close at N0.21
- WAPCO rose by 3.45% to close at N13.50
The top five decliners by percentage are;
- NPFMCRFBK lost 9.42% to close at N1.25
- UNIONDAC lost 7.41% to close at N0.25
- REDSTAREX lost 6.13% to close at N3.52
- NAHCO lost 6.10% to close at N2.00
- OANDO lost 5.46% to close at N2.25