Equities trading on the floor of the Nigerian Exchange ended on a positive note for Investors on Wednesday, 12th January 2022. The market snapped out of Tuesday’s loses to return to the bullish path it has been on since the commencement of the year.
The benchmark All-Share Index added 749.52 points to its opening figures to close at 44,608.82 points, a 1.71% gain. Investors’ wealth also grew, as the market capitalization gained N403.82 billion to close the day at N24.03 trillion.
The magnitude of Wednesday’s gains is attributable to the fact that the share price of Dangote Cement Plc advanced by 6.18%. DANGCEM, the most capitalized company on The Exchange has embarked on Tranche II of its Share buyback programme.
The activity level waned on Wednesday, as both volume and value of stocks traded decreased.
- Have you read?
- N10k to get N20k Investment… ACCESSBANK dissociates itself from Access Capital Investment Platform
- Dangote Cement Plc commences Tranche II of its Share buyback
While the volume of stocks traded decreased by 9.58% to 266.32 million, while the value to stocks traded decreased by 43.53% to N3.82 billion.
TRANSCORP, FBNH and JAIZBANK Shares were the most traded by volume with 89.01mn, 30.49mn, and 14.20mn shares respectively.
Shares of SEPLAT, DANGCEM and MTNN were the top three most traded shares by value. Shares worth N930.22mn, N588.61mn and N485.76mn of SEPLAT, DANGCEM and MTNN respectively were exchanged.
Performance of Indices under our watch
The performance of the five indices under our watch are as below;
- Banking Index: 0.39% (410.98 Points)
- Industrial Goods Index: 3.06% (2106.73 Points)
- Consumer Goods Index: 0.14% (556.80 Points)
- Oil & Gas Index: 1.37% (360.41 Points)
- Insurance Index: -0.49% (196.41 Points)
The Week-to-date performance stands at 1.62% while the YTD performance improved to 4.70%.
Investors sentiment as measured by market breadth (advance/decline ratio) strengthened to 1.6x ,higher than the 0.7x recorded on Wednesday, as 24 stocks gained while 15 stocks also lost.
- ACADEMY gained 10.00% to close at N0.66
- JAIZBANK gained 10.00% to close at N0.666
- UNITYBNK gained 8.70% to close at N0.50
- SOVRENINS gained 8.33% to close at N0.26
- MBENEFIT gained 7.41% to N0.29
- REGALINS lost 8.70% to close at N0.42
- CHIPLC lost 8.70% to close at N0.63
- SUNUASSUR lost 8.11% to close at N0.34
- AIICO lost 3.70% to close at N0.78
- NEIMETH lost 3.23% to close at N1.80