It was four days of loses out of four so far this week for the Nigerian Exchange‘s equities market. The benchmark All-Share Index (ASI) closed trading on Thursday at 42,247.98 points, 0.51% lower than it’s opening figure.
The market capitalization settled at N22.04 trillion, as Investors’ wealth declined by N112.27 billion.
- Have you read?
- MTN Nigeria’s Public Offer: N169.00 per Ordinary Share plus an incentive of 1 free share for every 20 shares
- Airtel Africa completes Airtel Nigeria minority buyout offer
Year-to-date performance of the NGX ASI moderated to +4.91%, as total Investor’s gain dropped below a trillion Naira to N988.18 billion.
The activity level was mixed, as the volume of shares traded decreased while the value of shares traded and the no of deals done increased.
324.01 million shares worth N5.29 billion was traded in 4,706 deals. This represents a 3.42% decrease in volume, 49.02% increase in value and 20.95% increase in value of shares traded when compared to Wednesday’s figures.
FBNH, GTCO and ACCESS Shares were the most traded by volume, with 113.35mn, 33.47mn, and 18.96mn shares respectively.
Shares of FBNH, SEPLAT and GTCO were the top three most traded shares by value. Shares worth N11.34bn, N1.00bn and N821.13mn of FBNH, SEPLAT and GTCO respectively were exchanged.
Performance of Indices under our watch
The performance of the five indices under our watch are as below;
- Consumer Goods Index: +0.08% (546.85 Points)
- Industrial Goods Index: -0.10% (2191.60 Points)
- Oil & Gas Index: -3.51%(348.24 Points)
- Banking Index: -1.18% (381.76 Points)
- Insurance Index: +2.24% (184.83 Points)
Investors sentiment as measured by market breadth (advance/decline ratio) remained weak at 0.5x lower than the 0.7x recorded on Wednesday, as 13 stocks gained while 34 stocks also lost.
- MEYER gained 10.00% to close at N0.22
- NEM gained 7.33% to close at N2.05
- ROYALEX gained 5.88% to close at N0.254
- JAPAULGOLD gained 5.26% to close at N0.40
- CHAMS gained 4.76% to close at N0.22
- BOCGAS lost 10.00% to close at N9.45
- UPDC lost 9.09% to close at N0.90
- TRANSEXPR lost 8.99% to close at N0.81
- LIVINGTRUST lost 8.33% to close at N0.88
- MANSARD lost 7.89% to close at N2.10
Nnamdi Maduakor is a Writer, Investor and Entrepreneur