Norway is open to individuals outside the European Union and the European Economic Areas who wish to apply for residence permit formerly known as work permit.
This permit is for skilled workers, seasonal workers, self-employed persons, or employees in humanitarian, non-profit, or religious organizations.
In some cases, The Scandinavian country is issuing entry visa to skilled workers who need a visa to visit Norway, allowing them to travel to Norway to hand in their application for a residence permit to the police or wait for a response to their application for a residence permit.
Entry visa does not entitle its holder to work in Norway but to stay in the country while you wait for the UDI to process your application for a residence permit.
Requirements for entry visas
- You must have applied for, or are going to apply for, a residence permit for skilled workers with an employer in Norway or a residence permit for athletes or coaches.
- You must have received a concrete job offer from one specific employer in Norway.
- The job must normally be full-time.
- You must have qualifications as a skilled worker.
- The job you are offered must require qualifications as a skilled worker. You must have the qualifications that the job requires.
- If you are going to work in an occupation for which approval or authorisation is required (external website), you must have such approval or authorisation. Health personnel, for example, must enclose an authorisation or licence from the Norwegian Directorate of Health (external website).
How to apply for an entry visa
- You must apply at a Norwegian embassy. If you live in a country where a Swedish or Danish embassy represents Norwegian authorities, you must contact a Norwegian embassy in a country where Norwegian authorities are not represented by a Swedish or Danish embassy. Please see our overview of embassies in order to check if the embassy is Norwegian or not.
- Submit an application for a visitor’s visa, but write in the application that you wish to be granted an entry visa (D visa).
- If you haven’t already submitted your application for a residence permit, you must now submit all the documents on the checklist for skilled workers.
- The embassy will consider your application for an entry visa. If your application is rejected, you can submit a written appeal to the embassy. The embassy will consider your application again. If they do not grant it, they will send it to the UDI. The UDI will consider the application again, and either reject it or grant it.
Click here for more details.
Jobs available for foreign nationals:
In-demand jobs available to foreigners
- Engineering Jobs
- Developer Jobs
- IT & Communications Jobs
- Teaching Jobs
- Driving Jobs
- Tourism Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Seafood Jobs
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Hotel Jobs
- Building & Construction Jobs
- Nursing & Medical Jobs
Check here for information on the different work categories such as: skilled workers, seasonal workers, exchange programs, vocational training, seafarers, etc
Sites to search for jobs in Norway
Ifunanya Ikueze is an Engineer, Safety Professional, Writer, Investor, Entrepreneur and Educator.