The Nigerian Exchange All-Share Index saw a 0.63% decline in its value on the first day of trading in the week, as it got weighed down by the loses in its most capitalized stock.
Shares of Dangote Cement Plc, the biggest company on the Exchange by market capitalization shed 3.26% as it closed at N240.00.
While the All-Share Index lost 243.49 points to close Monday’s trading at 38,567.26 points, Investors saw N126bn taken off the market capitalization, which settled at N20.09tn. YTD performance for the benchmark Al-Share Index worsened to -4.23%.
Trading activity was mixed on the day, with an increase in the volume of traded shares and a decrease in the value of those shares traded.
- Read also; Bitcoin rises above $45,000
- Meyer Plc Directors propose N1.5 interim dividend, more than double the share price
The volume of shares traded in the course of Monday’s trading session increased by 16.20% from the 16.77mn shares traded on Friday to 19.49mn shares.
The value of the shares traded declined by 39.02% to N1.01bn, down from 1.66bn worth of shares traded on Friday.
Shares of WEMABANK, ELLAHLAKES and FIDELITYBK were the three most traded shares by value in that order. While 25.76mn shares of WEMABANK was traded on Monday, 25.02mn and 16.13mn shares of ELLAHLAKES and FIDELITYBK were traded respectively.
In terms of value, Shares of ELLAHLAKES, ZENITHBANK and MTNN were the three top traded shares. N106.35mn worth of ELLAHLAKES shares exchanged hands, while N104.38mn and N94.66mn worth of ZENITHBANK and MTNN respectively did the same.
The most trading was done on ZENITHBANK shares, which saw 269 trade deals. This was followed by DANGSUGAR and GTCO with 267 and 243 trade deals respectively.
Performance of Indices under our watch
The performance of the five indices under our watch are as below;
- Oil & Gas Index: down +1.01%
- Consumer Goods Index: +0.03%
- Banking Index: -0.05%
- Insurance Index: -0.52%
- Industrial Goods Index: -1.76%
Investors sentiment, as measured by market breadth (advance/decline ratio), weakened to 0.9x from 1.2x recorded in the last trading session as 17 stocks gained while 18 stocks lost.
- CONOIL gained 9.83% to close at N22.35
- NNFM gained 9.76% to close at N6.75
- SKYAVN gained 9.18% to close at N3.45
- ACADEMY gained 7.89% to close at N0.41
- SUNUASSUR gained 4.4% to close at N0.47
- UPL lost 9.79% to close at N1.29
- LINKASSURE lost 7.81% to close at N0.59
- NPFMCRFBK lost 4.26% to close at N1.80
- VERITASKAP lost 4.17% to close at N0.23
- COURTVILLE lost 4.00% to close at N0.24
Nnamdi Maduakor is a Writer, Investor and Entrepreneur
Leave a Reply