Nigerian States and Federal Debt Stock data as of 31st December 2020 showed that the country’s total public debt portfolio stood at N32.92trn an increase of 20.12% yoy according to the Nigerian Domestic and Foreign Debt Q4 2020 Report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).
According to the report N12.71trn or 38.60% of the debt was external while N20.21trn or 61.40% of the debt was domestic. In 2019 external debt was N9.02 trn or 32.93% of the total public debt while domestic debt was N18.38 trn or 67.07% of the total public debt.
The Federal Government accounts for 85.69% (N10.89 trn) of the external debt while states and FCT account for the remaining 14.31% (N1.82 trn).
The Federal Government holds 79.29% (16.02 trn) of the Domestic debt while states and FCT account for the remaining 20.71% (4.19 trn.
The total States and FCT domestic debt was put at N4.19trn with Lagos state accounting for 12.15% of the debt stock while Jigawa State has the least debt stock in this category with a contribution of 0.74%.
Here is States and FCT Domestic and External Debt Stock as at 31 December 2020.
States and FCT Domestic and External Debt Stock as at 31 December 2020
|State||Domestic Debt Stock (N)||% Share of Total Debt Stock, Q4 2020||External Debt Stock (USD)|
NBS stated that the Domestic Debt Stock for Thirty-four (34) States, (Abia, Adamawa, Akwa-Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross-River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Osun Plateau, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe, Zamfara and the FCT) were as at December 31, 2020.
However, the Domestic Debt Stock figures for Katsina State was as at September 30, 2020, while Domestic Debt Stock for Rivers State was as at December 31, 2018.
Ifunanya Ikueze is an Engineer, Safety Professional, Writer, Investor, Entrepreneur and Educator.
Leave a Reply