The Lagos State Government has declared 4-day work-free days for public servants in the state to give them the opportunity to collect their Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) at their respective Local Governments/Local Council Development Areas starting from January 24th
This was contained in a circular issued by the Lagos State Head of Service, Hakeem Muri-Okunola on Wednesday. The work free day will end on Friday, January 27, 2023.
The Head of Service in the circular said, “Consequent upon the extension of the collection of Permanent Voters’ Cards by the Independent National Electoral Commission, it is hereby notified for the general information that all public servants who are yet to collect their Permanent Voters’ Cards from designated INEC Centers are encouraged to do so before Sunday, January 29, 2023, as it is a civic responsibility to vote.
“To this end, Mr. Governor has graciously approved a work-free day to enable public servants to collect their PVCs from their respective local government/local council development areas as presented in the table below.”
Highlights of the dates
- Tuesday, January 24, 2023, for grade levels 01, 03, 07 and 15;
- Wednesday, January 25, 2023, for grade levels 02, 04, 08 and 13;
- Thursday, January 26, 2023, for grade levels 05, 09, 12, and 17; and
- Friday, January 27, 2023, for grade levels 06, 10, 14 and 16.
He said, “Consequently, accounting officers and all public servants are to ensure compliance whilst giving this circular the service-wide publicity it deserves.’’
Recall that on December 12, 2022, INEC commenced the distribution of PVCs at its local government offices in the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
However, on January 12, INEC extended the deadline by about 1 week amid complaints and frustrations expressed by eligible voters over the delay and the very slow but stressful process involved in the PVC collection exercise.
1. Collection at Registration Area (Ward) level is extended by one a week from Monday 16th – Sunday 22nd January 2023.
2. Collection at Local Government level will resume on Monday 23rd – Sunday 29th January 2023.
Ifunanya Ikueze is an Engineer, Safety Professional, Writer, Investor, Entrepreneur and Educator.