Bayo Ojulari, the Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.), has said that the company is under attack from forces opposed to its ongoing transformation efforts.
Channels TV reported that the NNPCL’s CEO disclosed on Thursday while hosting the leadership of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) at the NNPC Towers in Abuja.
Ojulari said, “We are under attack. We will not budge to short-term pressure, as it will not be in the best interest of Nigerians.
“You cannot drive change without a price, and the transformation is tough,” Ojulari was quoted as saying in a statement posted on the company’s Facebook page on Thursday.
He stated that patience would be needed as the process unfolded, while reaffirming his commitment to the mandate given by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“Mr. President doesn’t pressure me to do the wrong thing. That is why we are looking at the baseline to ensure whatever we are doing, the refineries work sustainably going forward,” he added.
He also assured union leaders that the company would remain resilient despite challenges. Furthermore, Ojulari revealed that in his five months as Group Chief Executive Officer, efforts had been concentrated on reviving Nigeria’s refineries under the Incorporated Joint Venture (IJV) model.
He explained that the approach would ensure sustainable operations rather than temporary fixes.
Nnamdi Maduakor is a Writer, Investor and Entrepreneur